Monday, February 1, 2010

Reunion or not?


Today's Review Monday will be about the current Channel 8 9pm show "Happy Family".
The plot starts from 10 over years ago where the grandfather chased all his children out. He then adpoted a girl called Yang Xiaodong. 10 years later, the grandfather gets a stroke and Xiaodong aims to get all his children back for a reunion. However, it's not as simple as it seems. One of them was hit until she became limp and is unable to give birth anymore; one had swore 10 years ago that he will never return until he becomes rich, which did not happen after 6 failed attempts; the other one married to a Japanese and is under close grip by his wife, not allowing him to go back after being chased away. They have a shop in Chinatown where another Chen Liangcai is hoping for a reunion with his daughter and wife. Will the story have a good ending and will the family reunite?

Until today, I thought the show was only average. I thought it was just a typical show, without the Chinese New Year festive feeling. Thus, the show did not accomplish its objective. However, I thought Rui En's acting as a carefree and happy-go-lucky person was well acted. The others were okay, although I enjoy the family of Mei-e the best (the family of 4). It is really refreshing, though it can be boring at times. The different characteristics of the family members make it interesting to watch.

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. I have only watched a few episodes of the show, so I can't really rate it. I must agree that Rui En's acting is good though. I respect her for the fact that she always manages to act out the character given to her without looking fake or unnatural. 3/5. I think that that's a fair score (:

    Mattheus

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to update this post abit. The last episode was aired yesterday. I was kind of disappointed with the ending, Although it was a happy ending (reunion), I felt that the ending was kind of rush. They did not explain certain events clearly and when they bomb the audience with so many events at a time, it doesn't really work right. But that's just me, of course.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete