Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Timer

"Wei Jie, Yue Jun and I signed up as a team of three for a competition  organised by Nanyang Polytechnic named 'iCode', which challenges us to  code an iPhone web app. The competition is confined within the secondary  school circuit."

This was quoted from Yihan's blog.
Today is the official launch of the [i.code] Competition.
There was a mini ceremony at Nanyang Polytechnic at about 2.45pm.
That was when they would release the theme of our application for this year so we can start working on it until the judging date sometime in November.

Nanyang Polytechnic is situated in Yio Chu Kang and it would take us approximately 45 minutes to reach there by bus and train transfers from the school campus. This meant that we would have little time to eat, considering the few minutes taken up by the teacher of the last period and the need to reach there earlier to register.

And hence, Yihan's mother, Mrs Khoo, SMTP teacher in Hwa Chong Institution, offered to give us a ride there. Wei Jie had important EP3 stuff to handle, so he could not make it. That leaves Yihan and I.

Honestly, I have never met Mrs Khoo before.
Yihan's one of my best friends and I am aiming for SMTP next year, so I wanted to give her as best an impression as possible. I've asked Yihan. He hasn't talked about me yet, so I'm currently a clean sheet with no stains.
So I asked Joel, since he was in her Sabbatical Course in Term 2. He shrugged and said that she looked strict and whose face show no expression - rarely smiles. Asked me to be mentally prepared.

I prepared a speech. A three-word speech. "Hi Mrs Khoo." Just like that.
Then I got on the car and added a few extra words, "Thanks for the ride."
"Ya, sure." With a smile on her face.
That pretty much broke the ice.
Throughout the journey, she remained friendly.
Offered me a pancake (which I politely declined) and taught me how to go back home. I appreciated it.

I was greatly relieved. Still, I maintained my formality at the end of the ride. "Mrs Khoo, thanks alot."
Then Yihan pouted a sentence: "So formal." Mrs Khoo gave a gentle laugh.

Maybe I shouldn't trust Joel too much.
When you're a first timer, things might not turn out as expected.
But in fact, things turned out great.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!WHYJAY!! You really know how to code an iPhone app! THATS COOL! Way to go! Hope you can win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Awesome how you know how to code an iPhone app, can help me code a special code in the future. ;) Signing up for such an interesting competition serves as very good experience and I am sure that you guys have benefited alot from it. :) Oyea, I realised that Yihan's mum is not so fierce la. ;)

    ReplyDelete