Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rules on the bus go round and round

I take the bus home everyday from school and have noticed that after so many years, people still don't follow the rules. They don't spare a thought for others. Be considerate to others and others will be considerate to you. Here is a recap of 4 of the rules when taking a bus.
Really simple to follow, right? Queuing up is respecting others who arrive earlier than us. Moving to the back of the bus is sparing a thought for others who have no space to get on. No eating or drinking on the bus is making the place clean. Giving your seats to the pregnant, disabled or those who children is being helpful. Often, when the bus becomes too crowded at the front, the bus driver has to shout for the people at the middle to move back. I feel that this is really not needed if people had the initiative. Imagine foreigners in the buses. How will they think about Singaporeans? No courtesy at all?

Same goes for trains. Recently, the fine for eating and drinking on MRT trains was imposed and officers are stationed in most trains to catch those inconsiderate people. Think about it: How much will SMRT have to spend if the carpeted floor was stained? No pets and durians allowed on the buses and trains either as the former might create droppings and the latter might produce a smell that will irritate some. Always allow the people in the train to come out before entering: That's basic courtesy.

Like what they always say, courtesy begins with me.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you YJ. Many times, I see teenagers taking the reserved seats on trains, and when they see senior citizens board the train, they immediately pretend to fall asleep.

    As for the fines for eating and drinking, I don't think water should be included in the banned list. My brother was once told off by a SMRT staff member when he drank water just outside the control station. The journey can be long sometimes, and I don't see the need to deprive my body of the hydration needed when what I am drinking will not harm the train in any way.

    About basic courtesy, yes I do agree with you fully. I used to be one of those who never spared a thought for others when boarding trains/buses. But after experiencing the situation myself, I have changed for the better (: Now, I am always annoyed when I see commuters barge into the train/bus before letting the other passengers alight, regardless of whether I am alighting or boarding.

    Great blog post! I think this issue relates very well to many of us. :D

    Mattheus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody queues up at the bus stops, that's another problem. I take the bus to school everyday. Most of the times, I am one of the earliest to reach the bus stop. As you know, 961 takes very long to arrive and during all that time of waiting, the bus stop eventually becomes crowded. Then when the bus comes, I realise that everyone in the bus stop takes 961. uh oh. Those who came later than me went into the bus before me. In the end, I squeeze at the door to get into the bus. People. DX

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't really matter, except feeling a little queasy, if there are enough seats in the bus for everyone boarding. What irks me is the fact that I was obviously there first, yet the others board the bus and then hoard the few seats available, leaving you to stand after waiting the longest at the bus. I agree this isn't fair, but I say, when's life ever fair?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that despite the countless reminders from the bus and MRT personnel, people still refuse to listen. There should be a line like the bus interchange, but that would be troublesome. People should just take the initaitive and help one another. Do unto others what you want others to do onto you.

    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I just posted a similar post ( I swear I didn't copy yours xD)...

    Anyways.. I totally agree! There was this one time I gave up my seat, but I think the senior citizen did not see it, and another teenager just took it, thinking that I was stopping at the next stop. The old man eventually noticed it but he could not do anything about it. I think a few people also saw what happened but they did not offer to help.

    What is up with them????

    ReplyDelete